Friday, December 20, 2013

Break!

And here we are almost 3 1/2 months into my year in Spain. We are also 5 days away from Christmas which is crazy because 3 months ago this felt so far away. I moved to madrid a month ago and now life is pretty normal. On the weekend I usually hang out with some friends from my school or go somewhere with my family. Last weekend we went to see the new Disney movie, Frozen. I honestly wasn't that impressed but the graphics are crazy good in Disney movies now so it was entertaining. It is also cool how I can basically understand everything happening in a movie even though every thing is dubbed in Spanish. It's not a word for word thing I just grab on to some and then understand it from the context. It has also been easier to listen to Spanish for long periods of time without becoming exhausted or giving up trying to understand.
School is still an every day struggle. Coming in two months in and then having to take tests on those two months of material was obviously not a very easy step to take. I am definitely thankful we have a very long break. Seriously we go back until the 8th I don't think I have ever had an 18 day break before. When I told my host mother this she said that Spaniards will use anything as an excuse to have a fiesta which is something I have come to love.
On a lower note, I'm pretty sure exchange students around holidays are supposed to be depressed. However, since I usually find myself fairly preoccupied I haven't thought about all the cute Christmas celebrations I am going to miss. Well, not until right now. I guess it is pretty sad but I also have heard that after Christmas time flies by. My mom always tells me to stay in the moment which I what I have been trying to do a lot lately. Pay attention in class, try not to think too much about summer, be happy that I get to live in Spain. I hope this Christmas will be a happy memory and not a depressing mess!

Me and my host sister!

No comments:

Post a Comment