Sunday, April 6, 2014

Diferences

In salute to 7th month in Spain mark, I decided it was about time to make a post about cultural differences between Spain and America. Whether it be in school or socially there are obviously going to be a few. Some of them are apparent and can be pointed out after talking to a Spaniard for a while. Because I have lived in Bilbao as well as Madrid I have also found that, similar to America, there are differences between northern Spain and more southern Spain.
Let us begin with the joyous institution of public education:

1) Respect for teachers is more or less absent from the classroom. I think this might actually just be my specific class but I definitely noticed it a little in Bilbao as well. At least once a day our class has to have a 5-10 minute talk with the teacher about how this behavior is "not normal" and we need to start "acting our ages." I try to stay more on the quiet side just because I feel so much pity for the teachers. But the end of the day even I am getting fed up and start ranting in my head about how some people just need to get it together.

2) Dress code. By this I do not mean the formal dress code set by the school but just the norm of how students come to school. My school in America has a pretty loose dress code that has never been very strongly enforced. In addition to this, 4,000 students go to my school and I live in New York. That being said, I have seen outfits that would literally shock my Spanish friends if I showed them. I actually have showed a few of them how some people might go dressed to my school and they were really not into it.
Basically, the days we have gym one normally wear leggings and a sweater or a normal short or sweatpants. The days we don't one wears jeans and a shirt of sweater. Dresses and skirts are a big no no. Again, this was not set by the administration of the school it is just common knowledge to all of the students. Also, red lipstick or too much makeup in general is not normal, nor is big earrings of any type.
I think I general I would just say that in America we spend a whole lot more time getting ready in the morning than students do here. It has been more than easy for me to get used to...

3) Breaks or free periods. This isn't a social norm or anything it is just a big difference for me personally in the schools. In America, a school normally gives students a few free periods a day and if not that they get a lunch period that can last maybe 45 minutes. Here, I find the schools days to be much longer because the only break we get is 30 minutes after three class. During this time students will eat a small snack like crackers or a sandwich and then wait to eat a bigger lunch when they get home.

4) Gym class. Gym is CRAZY here. I spent 6 hours studying for a gym test last weekend. I have never taken a gym test in my life, I wasn't even aware they existed and honestly, they shouldn't. Besides the tests everyone just takes the class more seriously in general. If the teachers says we are going to spend the whole class running laps around the gym, that will be done.

Social differences:

1) This is an obvious one but the cheek kisses! I have really come to love them. It is just something that everyone knows to do when first meeting someone. I always find that in America no one our age really knows how to meet a new person. Too soon for a hug but too young for a handshake - WHAT IS THE IN BETWEEN? (An awkward wave.)
Side note - Kisses go from right cheek to left cheek, it's real uncomfortable if you go the other way...

2) Spaniards (especially from Madrid) are so much friendlier! This may just be a big difference because I'm from New York but it is so true. It is hard to find a Spaniard that doesn't like to talk. That might be why everyone is constantly talking in class, everyone is an extrovert. It makes it a great country to study abroad in because it is so much easier to make friends!

3) Not only do Spaniards like to talk but they like to talk LOUD. We were talking about this in my lengua class the other day. It is not uncommon for someone to be shouting a conversation at you. After a while you get used to it but when I first got here it was definitely a little surprising.

4) Personal space is much less of a thing. I guess this goes along with the cheek kissing. This is a little hard to describe typing but basically Spaniards give MUCH less personal space than Americans. A normal American feels comfortable with the personal space of both of ones arms stretched out spread eagle. However, a Spaniards feels comfortable with the personal space of both of the elbows stretch out so basically about an arms length less of personal space is socially acceptable.

5) Food. In Spain, food is part of their culture and tradition. Eating and the food is just more important here. "I'm hungry" is not an excuse for not eating. They eat a big lunch and a pretty big dinner which is something you NEED to get used to and prepare for before studying abroad here.
My personal favorite food is tortilla de patata (obviously), paella (another obvious one but it can't not be mentioned), and cocido which is really good soup with vegetables and usually meat.

So those are just a few differences I thought of off the top of my head. Obviously, there are a ton more but I just don't have the time to write all of them down! To sum up, two very amazing countries with interesting cultural differences. It literally amazes me every day that I get to experience them with my own two eyes.

3 comments:

  1. I can't wait until you cook my first tortilla de patata for me.
    Cheek kisses,
    Dad

    ReplyDelete
  2. thanks for the great blog Violet; brings back memories...Another big difference I remember is that they ate dinner so late (like around midnight)! The siestas made up for it though. Do they still do that?
    I'm waiting for your blog on bullfighting: for or against? You have to go see one first if you haven't already. That was always a topic for long discussions at the bars.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. In my family we usually eat dinner around 10 but I have definitely eaten a lot later before.
      I'm way too much of a wuss to see a real bullfight but I'll ask around for opinions!

      Delete