I just got back from my first day of school and I am totally exhausted. We got there at 9 so we could talk to the principal and the person who is in charge of class schedules. I tried to just sit there and smile whist they did the actual deciding of which classes I would be in. After that the principal told me to sit in on the last 10 minutes or so of their science class and told me to come to his office after. When I went down to his office I sat in a chair outside for half and hour until he introduced me to the schedule director who printed me out a schedule and sent me back to class. Even though my classes are mostly in spanish (sometimes the teachers switch to speaking in basque or catalan) I was put into an advanced basque class that went completely over my head. After that I had catalan literature which I understood a little of but not really. Thankfully, all of the teachers in the school are very nice and understanding of my complete lack of language. After that we had break. My cousin graciously let's me hang out with her and her friends outside which I really appreciate because without her I really don't know what I would do. Then I had gym, philosophy, and an activities period where the teacher talked for 15 minutes about something and then we had free time. After school Oskar picked me up and him, Irati (my cousin), and I walked to my grandma's house to eat lunch. She is the sweetest women in the whole world and has to be told a million times that you aren't hungry before she will actually stop offering food and even then she will probably do it one or two more times.
I am hoping that by the end of the week I will at least be able to follow the class schedule without asking where we have to go next. I know that although school is close to impossible right now it can only get better. My classmates are very helpful and try to speak some english to me when I have questions about the class. I guess my spanish can only improve from here on out.
No comments:
Post a Comment