Thursday, October 3, 2013

1st Orientation! (In Spain)

Last Saturday me and Josie took a bus to Vitoria for the orientation. I made it within two minutes of the bus leaving which really stressed me out because I would rather be an hour early than ten minutes late. We got there, met up with Elif, another AFS student, and found the AFS volunteer that was going to take us to where the orientation was. After that, the volunteer told us that we had to wait for another student for about an 45 minutes even though where the orientation was being held was about five minutes from the bus station. Anyway, we got a quick coffee, picked up the last student, and then headed to the orientation.

We were the last people to arrive, no surprise there. We started by playing some quick games. And when I say quick I mean we tried playing for five minutes before everyone realized we didn't know how to play. Then after attempting some more games, emphasis on attempting, we got down to business. Everyone had to hand in anonymous problems and the volunteers would give helpful answers. This part was comforting because everyone could see that they weren't the only one having problems understand or making friends in school or homesickness. The advice given left much to be desired but it was nice putting them out in the open so we could discuss them with each other later.
Next, we went out to lunch and had a little walk around Vitoria which is gorgeous. I was completely in love with in and wanted to stay out even longer but we had to get back to the orientation stuff. I actually forget what we did after that because it wasn't extremely helpful or interesting.
Me and Josie decided to take a later bus back so we could hang out with people who lived in Vitoria and so we could walk around the Medieval parade that was very inviting.
I got home around 10:30 and went straight to bed because I am perpetually exhausted. So, the orientation itself wasn't very helpful but seeing all of the other students and I am really looking forward to the next one in November that will be the whole weekend.



No comments:

Post a Comment